Sunday, November 18, 2012

Order of the Dimensions


Title: Order of the Dimensions
Author: Irene Helenowski
Format Acquired: PDF from author for honest review
Publication Date: September 14, 2012
Publishing House: self-published
ASIN: 9781105654442

Summary:
When Jane Kremowski first began her graduate studies in physics at Madison State University in Wisconsin, little did she know where her work would take her. Now, she is embroiled in a multitude of dimensions all leading to different outcomes. She and her colleagues therefore must act wisely in order to take and keep away the Order of Dimension from falling into the wrong hands for the sake of her loved ones.


Review:
Order of the Dimensions was my first science fiction book that I have read in a very long time. I normally steer away from them, but the summary of this book intrigued me so I gave it a shot. I am very glad that I did! It starts off with Jane Kremowski, a physics graduate student with a secret. She has been secretly traveling the dimensions with her black box invention. Jane lost her parents a few years back in a car accident and with them her cousin was also affected mentally. Jane starts out at a conference for the introduction of their invention, but something goes very wrong and she ends up waking up in a new dimension with a whole new life and the world is very different.  

I loved the premise of this book... it's so different from anything that I have ever read. I did have a few issues with the writing style though. At first, I was taken aback by how the characters talked and the conversations went between everyone. It was a bit too detailed  Everything the characters said to each other had a description behind it, which I have found is not always necessary. In fact, I like to be able to guess what the characters are thinking and feeling in their conversations rather than be told the entire time. One example of this was "All right," Mike replied with a little reluctance in his voice." Most, if not all of the dialogue had descriptors of that nature attached to it. 

I was able to look past the writing and enjoy the book though. The book was actually a pretty quick read and I did enjoy reading it. I was fascinated by the idea of dimensions and our selves being different in every dimension. For example, Jane was a cop in one dimension, and married to Dr. Z in another. Dr. Z is the main protagonist in the story that causes all of the trouble for all of the characters. I found it interesting that he always seemed to be the bad guy in most of the dimensions, no matter what. I guess some people are just destined for evil no matter what.

Overall, I really did enjoy the book despite the few writing flaws in the dialogue.  I would give it four owls. 


Overall Rating:

Order of the Dimensions can be found on Amazon, Goodreads, and facebook

0 comments:

Post a Comment