Wednesday, January 16, 2013

DAC #3 Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway

Debut Author Challenge #3

Title: Touch of Death
Author: Kelly Hashway
Format Acquired: mobi for kindle
Publication Date: January 15,2013
Publishing House: Spencer Hill Press

Summary:
Jodi Marshall isn’t sure how she went from normal teenager to walking disaster. One minute she’s in her junior year of high school, spending time with her amazing boyfriend and her best friend. The next she’s being stalked by some guy no one seems to know.

After the stranger, Alex, reveals himself, Jodi learns he’s not a normal teenager and neither is she. With a kiss that kills and a touch that brings the dead back to life, Jodi discovers she’s part of a branch of necromancers born under the 13th sign of the zodiac, Ophiuchus. A branch of necromancers that are descendents of Medusa. A branch of necromancers with poisoned blood writhing in their veins.

Jodi’s deadly to the living and even more deadly to the deceased. She has to leave her old, normal life behind before she hurts the people she loves. As if that isn’t difficult enough, Jodi discovers she’s the chosen one who has to save the rest of her kind from perishing at the hands of Hades. If she can’t figure out how to control her power, history will repeat itself, and her race will become extinct.

Review:
I have been waiting for this book for quite some time, and as soon as it hit amazon I didn't hesitate to buy it. I didn't want to be disappointed by a book I had been patiently waiting for, so I was quite hesitant to actually start reading it, but once I did I just simply could not put it down. At first, I didn't think I would really get into the Greek mythology books, but it has since grown on me. In fact, I am starting to love reading any YA book that contains any type of Greek mythology. Touch of Death did not disappoint me in the slightest.

At the beginning of the book, I was a tad frustrated at Jodi for literally bleeding on everything. And, when I say everything, I mean everything. She bled on the deer, the squirrel, the rat, the carpet... shall I go on? After cutting yourself so many times, you would think you would invest in some gloves, bandaids, or something. Also, the book started off a bit weird with the main guy being a stalker, literally. This guy just would not leave Jodi alone for like two seconds. After a while she just gave up asking for help and calling the cops and just dealt with him by.... closing her blinds? Realistic? Not so much. But, the book did get better and after these laughable/irritating events I did dive right into the book. I loved the background of the ophi and the astrology implemented in the book. I also loved the background that Hashway described in the book. I am also starting to learn that Medusa is quite a popular ancestor of a few YA novels these days.

 I really did like the book, despite the iffy beginning. I am quite excited to be able to read the next book in the series, but I heard it is a love triangle. I am not so sure how I feel about that, but I guess we will see!

Overall:


2 comments:

Deidra Monson said...

I am a goner for anything involving Greek Mythology.
Anyways, I am nominating you for a Liebster Blog Award! People should know about this blog!
Deidra @ Simply Books.

Unknown said...

Thank you!! :)

Post a Comment