Thursday, March 14, 2013

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare [Review]



Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare

Release Date: March 27, 2007

Publisher: Margaret K. Elderberry Books

ISBN: 141691428

Source: mobi 

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . . 

My Review:

I have to confess... I only read this book after seeing the movie trailer. I was intrigued to say the least, so I just had to read the book. I am one of those people that have to read the book before seeing the movie. This book was no different. I'm not sure what I expected after seeing the trailer, but I can say that this book was a lot different than what I perceived it as. I was expecting Clary to be grabbed up and told she was different... I mean that is what the trailer shows right? I mean with the glowing hand and all there is something definitely different there. But, I was kind of disappointed. Instead of a book packed full of action and a story full of Clary, I got a book packed too full of action and not that much about Clary. 

There were times that I was bored with the storyline and there were other times where I loved it. I loved the budding relationship between Clary and Jace. Clary was a bit... flat. But, I did feel that she came into her own by the end of the story. I did feel kind of bad for her bestfriend and they way she was stringing him along. There's only so much a best friend should have to go through. I was loving this book... and then BAM. The ending revelation... Seriously? I wanted to throw my kindle across the room. NO NO NO. And.... ewwww. 
Cassandra Clare... you are killing me! Seriously why did you have to go and do that to me? Thankfully, I had google and I found out that the ending isn't true. Thank goodness! (I cheated, sue me) I just couldn't go on with that ending. Sorry. 

Overall, I would recommend this book to my friends and to anyone that loves young adult action/paranormal/romance books. But, if you read it and don't take the easy way out and look up the rest of the books, I will forewarn you. You WILL hate the ending! The story does have a bit of dull story plots, and some flat moments, but overall I loved it.

Overall:




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha I didn't cheat and Google the ending because I was on vacations without internet! It was something horrible to go through, but I've enjoyed the five books a lot! You should check out Clockwork Angel. It's amazing :D

Liza said...

I vote for Clockwork Angel.

I don't know if you'll want to go past book 3 though for The Mortal Instruments. My advice- wait until the last book is released listen to the reviews and if they're negative pretend the books end at 3. You'll be happier that way.

Unknown said...

I have heard that the books after three aren't necessary. I think I will take your advice on this one!

Post a Comment